What to do in the garden NOW!
1. Start warm season veggies like tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, basil, etc. indoors NOW. They require about 6-8 weeks start before going outside. The Slow Food Good, Clean and Fair curriculum has a seed starting activity.
3. Hardy veggies can be direct sown NOW. Lettuce, spinach, kale, kohlrabi, onion, snow peas,etc. Semi- hardy carrots, chard, beets, radishes, broccoli, cabbage, etc. can also be planted!
4. There is still time to amend beds that will be planted with warm season crops in mid-late May. Compost is a great soil amendment.
5. Check hoses and tools. Organize a garden clean up day for the school community.
6. Meet with your cafeteria manager to discuss Garden to Cafeteria. Get their input as to what to plant now for use in the lunch menu next year. It is important to communicate!