JOIN THE SLOW FOOD DENVER TEAM!
Slow Food is a global, grassroots organization founded in Italy in 1989 to counter the rise of fast food and the disappearance of local food cultures. Today, it is present in over 160 countries, with about 150 chapters in the United States. Through programs, education, advocacy and events, Slow Food inspires individuals and communities to change the world through food that is good, clean and fair for all.
Slow Food Denver is one of the many local chapters that carry out the work of Slow Food in their communities. Seeking dramatic and lasting change in the local food system, Slow Food Denver reconnects the Front Range communities with the people, traditions, plants, animals, fertile soils and waters that produce our food. We believe that our everyday choices, starting with what we eat and feed others, can contribute to a better future for the generations to come.
We are a small, dynamic and passionate Slow Food office that has grown significantly over the past 10 years. In addition to our successful local programming, Slow Food Denver has led three major national initiatives including Slow Food USA’s National School Garden program, the Slow Meat conference and Slow Food’s flagship festival in the US — Slow Food Nations.
Slow Food is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to reflect the diverse community that works toward and cares about a healthy food system. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter, with the job you are applying for as the subject, to email@example.com.
Location: Denver, CO
Start Date: August 2021
Pay Range: PART-TIME, hourly
Reports to: Program Director
This is a weekly gardening and cooking program for Denver, CO. The gardening program will include planting, cultivating, and harvesting, using learner-driven processes that emphasize experiential activities. Our goal is to provide an interactive learning environment transforming children from passive food consumers to creators, and in doing so increase their health awareness. This learner-driven approach inspires children to develop healthy, lifelong eating habits by making the connection between where food comes from and how it is prepared. Children discover their own taste preferences, learn to create dishes they enjoy and derive self-esteem and pride as they watch their plants grow. Participation in the entire seed to table experience results in a more intimate relationship with food.
We are a small team working at a fast pace to champion Slow values. We are looking for a leader who brings a positive outlook, is self-motivated, team-focused and believes in having fun while working hard.
- Deliver 60-75 minute gardening & cooking program to elementary & middle school students. Classes are held before, during or after school for 60-75 minutes, Monday-Thursday.
- Utilize the Slow Food USA School Garden Curriculum to customize class programming
- Grocery shop for each class
- Work with Program Director to order necessary materials
- Connect with school garden leader to coordinate garden planting and harvesting
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for the Slow Food mission
- Previous teaching experience
- Experience in gardening or cooking
- Creativity, willingness to take initiative, and ability to work independently
- Strong organizational skills, including attention to detail and follow-through
- Budgeting experience
- Bilingual (preferred)
- Must pass a fingerprint background check
COMMUNICATIONS & OUTREACH COORDINATOR
Location: Denver, CO
Start Date: As soon as possible
Pay Range: PART-TIME, $15,000-$20,000/annually, approximately 20 hours/week
Reports to: Slow Food Denver Director
We are seeking to hire a new communications and outreach coordinator who will support our priority of sharing the Slow Food story and coordinate our events, programs and activities that engage our community. This person will be skilled in written and verbal communications, demonstrate strong attention to detail and excel in time management. In addition, this role will be a prominent face of Slow Food to the community, so this person will need to enjoy working with people and present a warm and gracious demeanor. This is an exciting and dynamic role, and every day will be different. The ability to manage multiple tasks is essential.
We are a small team working at a fast pace to champion Slow values. We are looking for a team member who brings a positive outlook, is self-motivated, team-focused and believes in having fun while working hard.
The communications & outreach coordinator reports directly to the director. Specifics include:
- Work directly with director to craft a communications plan
- Manage Slow Food Denver’s social media pages
- Produce and distribute monthly e-newsletter
- Promote volunteer opportunities and manage SignUp Genius as needed
- Liaise with local media and online calendars to promote events, program and other Slow Food news
- Update and maintain website, including Slow Food Denver events, blog posts, youth education classes, volunteer and intern opportunities
- Manage Slow Food Denver’s email inbox
- Maintain and organize internal documents, photos, etc on Google drive
- Support detailed planning and logistics for specific events, programs and other community activities
- Attend and provide onsite support as the key point person for specific events, programs and other community activities
- Support program evaluation data gathering and reporting
- Support outreach for fundraising campaigns
- Support youth education program director with marketing and outreach
- Support office upkeep and maintenance
- Support annual reporting needs
Desired Technology Experience
- Familiarity with social media platforms
- Experience with email management tools
- Experience with WordPress
- Knowledge of event communications tools
- Spanish fluency (not required)