snail of approval
Snail of Approval
Calling all restaurants, bars, food and beverage establishments, local farms, and other food producers that are pursuing and practicing Slow Food values in their business: Slow Food Denver Snail of Approval is now open.
The Snail of Approval award is given by local chapters based on evaluations focused on the following six areas: sourcing, environmental impact, cultural connection, community involvement, staff support, and business values.
Businesses that are awarded a Snail of Approval are recognized on the Slow Food Denver and Slow Food USA websites, receive a Snail of Approval window sticker to display, shout-outs on Slow Food Denver’s social media channels, the opportunity to partner with Slow Food Denver and exposure to Denver-metro and Boulder County residents who care about good, clean and fair food. The Snail of Approval award is active for two years. Re-application is required for all businesses after the two years.
Slow Food Denver encourages any Denver-metro and Boulder County food business or organization that produces and/or offers food for public consumption, is pursuing and practicing Slow Food values of good, clean, fair food for all, and has been open for at least one year to apply. Awards will be given on a rolling basis. Slow Food staff and/ or board will conduct site visits of applicants.
What is the Snail of Approval program?
Who is eligible to receive a Snail of Approval?
Any food business or organization that produces and/or offers food for public consumption and is pursuing and practicing Slow Food values of good, clean, fair food for all—restaurants, farms, ranches, fisheries, cafes, bars, food trucks, breweries, wineries, caterers, value-added food producers.. Restaurants and/or related businesses in the Denver-metro area that have been open for at least one year and meet the criteria outlined in the Snail of Approval application.
Who can nominate a restaurant for a Snail?
Anyone and everyone in the Denver area. Know of a restaurant that embodies Slow Food’s values? Tell us!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us the business’s name, best contact, website (if applicable) and short summary of why you are nominating.
How does the application process work?
What is the benefit of having a Snail of Approval?
Let us count them!
- A Snail of Approval Award
- Dedicated space on our website and the Slow Food USA website that notes your commitment to Slow Food values
- Official Snail of Approval window cling and/or plaque to display in your restaurant
- Snail Spotlight promotion on Slow Food Denver’s social media channels
- Opportunities to partner with Slow Food Denver
- Exposure to Denver residents who care about food in the same way you do
If I patronize restaurants that have earned a Snail of Approval, am I supporting Slow Food?
Can you guarantee that all food at approved restaurants is “slow,” sustainable, organic, fair-trade, etc.?
The application is set on a cumulative point system, thoughtfully generated by the national team at Slow Food USA.
Whenever possible, we publish the exact qualifications each restaurant has met. In this way, we hope to promote transparency in the food community and encourage restaurants to take more measures to promote Slow Food values.
Snail of Approval Application Process
- All nominees will fill out the Eligibility Application- and all applicants who score a passing score of 56 or greater will be eligible
- If a passing score is not achieved, applicants can seek help from us who can assist in identifying ways to improve score
- All applicants who pass will be contacted to participate in a short 30 minute interview and schedule a site visit.
- Based on the Eligibility Application score, interview, and site visit– a panel will select awardees.
You will not be able to save your progress as you go. The application is completely multiple choice and usually takes 30-45 minutes to complete.
Apply Now! Snail of Approval Application
Apply today and become the first establishment in the Denver-metro and Boulder County area to receive this award!