Roasted Beet Salad
Recipe by: Sara Parsons, Nutrition and Culinary Intern, Slow Food Denver
Roasted Beet Salad:
2 Cups local* arugula
2 Cups local* kale, de-stemmed, chopped, and massaged
¾ Cup local* honeydew melon, peeled and chopped or spiralized
3 small local* beets, roasted and sliced
1 Tablespoon olive oil, plus more for roasting the beets
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
1/8 Cup Lemon Vinaigrette**
- Prepare the beets by cutting off the tops (greens) and tails (roots). Peel the skin off the beets and cut them into quarters.
- Place the beets into a ceramic baking dish and toss them in approximately 2 Tablespoons of olive oil until covered and the baking dish is well coated.
- Roast the beets at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- De-stem the kale and either tear apart with your hands or chop. Place the 2 Cups of chopped kale in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add the olive oil and apple cider vinegar and begin massaging the kale until tender.
- Add 2 Cups arugula to the bowl of massaged kale. Set aside.
- Once the beets are roasted and cooled, slice them into smaller slices or roughly chop them to your preferred size and shape.
- Add the beets to the massaged kale-arugula mixture.
- Toss the salad with Lemon Vinaigrette and top with ¾ Cup chopped or spiralized honeydew melon.
½ teaspoon lemon zest
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons local* honey
1 ½ Tablespoons olive oil***
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground mustard
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon fennel seed
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or with an immersion stick blender until well-combined.
- Makes approximately 1/8 Cup of dressing which is enough to dress the salad. Feel free to double or triple this recipe if you would like extra dressing!
***Substitute olive oil with Colorado Mills Sunflower Oil