We’re ready for 2013!
Here’s what we have planned so far….follow the links to register!
CANCELLED due to weather.
March 24 – Spring Equinox Crop Mob with UrbiCulture Community Farms - help construct and fill raised beds at this new low-income housing community.
April 6 – Our friends at Waste Farmers will be hosting this crop mob that will include numerous terrific learning activities – we’ll be helping to build raised beds that will be used to grow veggie and composting crops, AND we’ll be using Sepp Holzer’s hugelkultur technique to establish the beginnings of a food forest. Very exciting! Due to the valuable educational potential, this would be an ideal mob for older children to attend! Registration available here.
April 27 – Fresh City Life offers adult cultural programming, such as gardening classes, through the Denver Public Library. On this particular project, which will include clearing, soil prep, and bed prep, the garden being prepared will act as a lab space for future FCL gardening classes. Register here through Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado (VOC). PLEASE do NOT simply show up without registering via that link!
May 18 – The SAGE Project is a 6700 square foot CoExist Community Garden growing food for/with the hungry and homeless. The entire garden is engaged collaboratively and all produce is shared with those who are hungry in body and/or spirit. We’ll be reconfiguring and building raised beds and doing some planting – this is a very worthy cause that can use your support!! Registration for this event is NOW OPEN – here’s the link to get there…
June 2 – The ever popular EKAR Farms is a charity based non-profit urban farm on 2 acres. Their mission, to boldly grow where no man has…err, that is, to grow fruits and veggies in a sustainable fashion, to build community, and to provide experiential educational opportunities. This year EKAR plans to grow and donate 8,000 pounds of organic produce to various local food pantries. Mobbers will help with seed and soil work – we’ll be planting tomatoes, peppers and eggplant, among other tasks. VOC is coordinating this crop mob for us as well, so PLEASE – if you want to attend, you’ll need to register at this link.
June 8 – Produce Denver crop mob – details to follow!
Send us your ideas for more Crop Mobs in 2013! firstname.lastname@example.org
Here’s what we did in 2012.
- April 7 – created a garden from scratch at The Garden, a new restaurant located at 3435 Albion in Park Hill. The Garden Family wants to grow much of the produce they will use in the kitchen.
- May 5 – helped South Metro Urban Farmer’s kick off their 2nd season of Neighborhood Supported Agriculture by planting seeds and seedlings in the heart of old Littleton.
- May 19 – helped Mo’ Betta Green Marketplace create an urban food forest using native medicinal and food plants at this location in Five Points.
- June 10 – at H2Organic Farms, we planted out tomatoes, eggplants and peppers in the 1/4 acre surrounding their greenhouse in Arvada and began building a produce stand.
- June 20 – Mid-Summer Night at Produce Denver at Denver ‘s Sustainability Park, located at 2500 Lawrence Street. Lots of planting of cukes, squash and tomatoes!
- June 24 – returned to Ekar Farm to complete a variety of chores including revamping an old herb garden
- August 4 – worked at Sprout City Farms, located at Denver Green School and one of 3 pilot farming projects on DPS acreage.
- Sept 29 – Star Acre Farms Harvesting was the task of the day. Tomatoes, pumpkins, peppers, squash. Lots of great food, and a few sore muscles.